Skip to main content

Civic registration

If you are here for a year or more, the first step is to register at the Tax office as soon as you arrive at KTH.

Woman looking at computer screen

Population Registration

Personal Identity Number (personnummer)

If you are planning to stay in Sweden for a year or more, you and all your accompanying family members will need to visit the Tax Agency in person once you arrive in Sweden, in order to register for a ten-digit Swedish personal identity number (personnummer). Fill out the form below and make an appointment before your arrival.

Check the checklist under "Bring the following documents" at the tax agency

Online form to fill out before your visit to the tax office.

Swedish ID card

Once you have your personal number, you will need to apply for an ID card. You will need the ID card to open a bank account, among other things. You must apply in person, at the local tax office (Skattekontoret).

The Tax Office's ID card application conditions

Visa/Residence Permit for EU/EEA Citizens

If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, you and your family members do not need a Visa nor a Residence Permit, just make sure you have current passports. You will need to visit the Tax Office once you arrive, in order to apply for a personnummer, as above. Make sure you are traveling to Sweden with your blue EU health card, regardless of how long you plan to stay in Sweden. You will need to get this card in the EU country you are currently residing in, and it should be valid for one year, from your arrival in Sweden.

Belongs to: About KTH
Last changed: Dec 29, 2021