Skip to main content
To KTH's start page To KTH's start page

Bank accounts

If you have a residence permit to be in Sweden, you have a right to get a bank account.

Cash and coins from around the world

Getting a bank account after your arrival

Preferable keep a foreign bank account until you are settled in Sweden and have opened a Swedish Bank account. All of this might take some time and in the meantime you need to make sure you have an (working) account where we can transfer your salary.

You may choose any bank. We recommend you to contact your local HR adminstrator to guide you onwards.

The bank SEB offers a smooth online registration where you may apply even before you have arrived. register at the bank SEB for an account  

If you do not settle an account number, or wait to open an account, you risk receiving your salary /scholar on a check. Checks cannot be cashed without a Swedish ID. You may, however, cash the check in when you open your bank account but all banks will charge you extra for this service. Checks cannot be cashed in to foreign accounts.

Paying with cash

Cash is no longer accepted at most places. If you bring cash with you to spend in Sweden, be aware that where you can spend it is limited. Grocery stores and some stores will accept your cash. Otherwise, you will need to pay with a card. To pay an invoice in cash, you will need to visit a Western Union office. Swedish banks no longer handle cash.

Western Union

Pay your invoice at KTH Pay

If you have an invoice from KTH Relocation, you can pay it with a credit card easily at KTH Pay.