Frederico Marques Penha
(Please, call me Fred)
I have joined the Chemical Engineering department under the Division of Resource Recovery as Assistant Professor in 2021.
My scientific career is focused on the application of classical separation operations to new contexts aiming at further improvements in the efficiency and sustainability of industrial processes. Among the classical technologies, my expertise is crystallization and membrane separation processes.
My research interests include:
novel crystallization techniques and approaches
nucleation and polymorph control
process integration and intensification
🌈 My pronouns are: he, him.
Phone: +46 8 790 64 12
- ABTOMAT: Utilization of aluminium bearing raw materials for the production of aluminium metal, other metals and compounds
- SYMBIOREM: improve the effectiveness, sustainability, circularity and cost-efficiency of bioremediation and revitalisation strategies for soils, sediments, surface water and groundwater
- EMBRAPII, KTH, UFMG and AngloGoldAshanti: Development of a technological route to reduce sulfate concentrations in the final mining effluent in the context of the new dry tailings disposal
- Projects with Niobium (Collaboration between the Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG) and KTH):
- Crystallization of niobium compounds and their use in batteries for clean energy developments (STINT initiation grant)
- INOVA Nióbio: Obtaining high purity niobium compounds from mineral and metallic raw materials (CNPq-Brazil)
- PureVFA: Production of sustainable and pure chemicals from waste-derived volatile fatty acids