Theory and Methodology of Science
Below you find general information about the course Theory and Methodology of Science.
The course provides an introduction to the theory and methodology of science and is intended for the Master student or beginning PhD student. One aim is to supply the basic concepts needed for placing the techniques and knowledge acquired in the student's other courses in the wider context of the natural sciences. Another aim is to provide the basic intellectual tools that allow for a reasoned and critical assessment of results and methods from the wide variety of disciplines that the student is likely to encounter during his or her continued career in research and/or in professional life.
- FAK3012: Supplementary course for PhD students, 3 credits (intended for PhD students who have completed a 4.5 credits or a 7.5 credits version of the course as master students and wish to add a 3 credits essay to get 7.5 credits to be counted as a PhD course), given in periods 1, 2, 3, and 4
- FAK3014: PhD course, natural and technological science, minor course, 3 credits (intended for PhD students from the EES school), given in periods 1, 2, 3, and 4
- FAK3024: PhD course, natural and technological science, 4.5 credits, given in periods 1, 2, 3, and 4
- FAK3136: PhD course, social science, 4.5 credits, given in periods 1 and 3 (previously F1N5112)
- FAK3137: PhD course, natural and technological science, 7.5 credits, given in periods 1, 2, 3, and 4 (previously F1N5113)
- FAK3138: PhD course, social science, 7.5 credits, given in periods 1 and 3 (previously F1N5114
PhD student applications
This form is for students who want to take one of our PhD courses in the Theory and Methodology of Science.
To take one of our courses you need to:
1- have the course in your eISP
2- have a Ladok admin at your department/school admit you to the course (there is no limit on number of students for the courses)
3- fill out the billing information in this form here .
4- have a KTH account that is connected to Ladok and can access Canvas course events is needed for the course.
5- before the start of a course you have to register via the web. You find the web registration function via Ladok for students when the registration period opens.
Course coordination and questions
All questions about the course may be asked through email: email@example.com
All course administration is managed through the Canvas system.
Fees for PhD courses
Your department will be billed once you have registered for the course. The fees are as follows:
- 2400 SEK for the 3 credits versions (FAK3012 and FAK3014)
- 3600 SEK for the 4.5 credits versions (FAK3024, FAK3136)
- 6000 SEK for the 7.5 credits versions (FAK3137, FAK3138)