To be eligible for the master's programme in Architecture, you must meet the listed admission requirements and submit the documents required in your application. We will assess your application according to the selection criteria set for the programme. The same process applies to students with a bachelor's degree from a Swedish university.
A bachelor's degree or comparable qualification equivalent to a Swedish bachelor's degree from an internationally recognised university is required. Students following longer programmes that have completed courses equivalent to a bachelor's degree are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Students in the final year of undergraduate studies may apply and, if qualified, be conditionally admitted. These applicants must include a written statement according to the instructions given by
. Students in the final year of a bachelor's programme at a Swedish university do not have to provide a written statement to, if qualified, be conditionally admitted. However, students at Swedish universities must have completed 150 ECTS credits in their programme by 1 February.
English language proficiency equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6 is required. You can meet the requirement by achieving the minimum required score in the following internationally recognised English tests:
- IELTS Academic/IELTS UKVI: An overall score of 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5
- TOEFL iBT: Score of 20 (scale 0-30) in written test, total score of 90. We accept TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition Test. We do not accept TOEFL ITP, TOEFL iBT MyBest, Institutional TOEFL, TOEFL Essentials, or the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test.
- Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments: University of Michigan, Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE)
- Pearson PTE Academic: Score of 62 (writing 61)
- Cambridge ESOL: C1 Advanced (CAE), minimum overall score 180 (points awarded since 2015), or Cambridge English certificate level C1, minimum score 180, or Cambridge English: Advanced
Completed upper secondary and university studies in some countries can also fulfil the requirement. Detailed information on how you can meet the language requirement is provided by
Specific requirements for Architecture
A bachelor’s degree in Architecture corresponding to 180 ECTS credits or equivalent.
The student has to present a portfolio that demonstrates the necessary skills and the ability to make use of the education as well as independence in utilizing adequate methodology to implement and evaluate architecture projects by the following criteria:
- Building complexity
- Development of project/ level of sophistication
- Technical aspects
- Design and aesthetics
- Theoretical, historical and contemporary context
- Portfolio layout
Your application is not complete without the required documents. Some documents are required for all programmes, while some are programme specific. Only submit documents requested below. For example, if a summary sheet is not requested below, you should not submit one. Unless otherwise is specified, all documents should be uploaded to your application at University Admissions and not sent to KTH. We may verify your documents' authenticity with the issuing institution. Applications made with fraudulent documents will be rejected, and legal action may be taken. Incomplete applications are not processed.
General documents for all programmes
1. Certificates and diplomas of your completed degree(s)
Certificates and diplomas must be officially issued by the Academic Registrar's Office, the Examinations Office, or the equivalent office that issues official transcripts of records at your university. The documentation requirements differ between countries; find out what is required for your country at
University Admissions (scroll down to choose country)
Applicants who already study at a Swedish university that use Ladok do not need to submit certificates and transcripts. Just make sure the same personal identity number is used in Ladok at the university and your application at University Admissions.
2. Transcript of completed courses and grades included in your degree
Transcript of completed courses and grades included in your degree must be officially issued as per the certificates and diplomas. If you have had courses credited and/or transferred from previous studies, you must also submit official transcripts for those.
3. Proof of English proficiency
What proof of English proficiency is required depend on your country of study and if you meet the English requirements through a test or previous studies. Most English must be verifiable online. Find out what proof you need at
A copy of passport with personal data and photograph, or other identification document.
Specific documents for Architecture
A portfolio should be submitted directly to the KTH School of Architecture according to the following instructions. Please make sure to strictly follow the instructions, otherwise your application will be marked as ineligible.
- Format: PDF
- Size: maximum size of 10 MB, no more than 7 pages + 1 page cover sheet, single-sided, not spreaded. No requirements regarding page size. Landscape A format is recommended. Please keep in mind that each page has to be readable both as printed in A3 format as well as displayed on a laptop screen, make your work accessible to our reviewers.
- Minimum 2-3 projects, preferably no group work.
- Anonymous portfolio: Do not include your name anywhere in the portfolio. Include your 8-digit application number on the first page of the portfolio instead. Do not mix up the 8-digit application number with the programme code (E0121).
- File name: The file name should be the same as the application number. Example: 75387612.pdf
- Content: The portfolio should only present the applicant’s educational projects, no projects from work experience/internships are accepted. The projects included should be correctly titled:
- state your home university
- state during which year of the studies the project was done
- indicate if the work has been produced by the applicant alone or in collaboration
Upload your portfolio here (if you can't upload your portfolio please use the email method below):
You can also upload your portfolio through
. Please, note that in this case you will not receive any automatic confirmation on successful upload.
All applicants who meet the entry requirements and have submitted a complete application compete for the programme's available places. The selection is based on the portfolio. The evaluation scale is 1-75.
The acceptance rate for the master's programme in Architecture for 2021 was 26 %. We admitted 120 students out of the 455 applicants that met the admission requirements. To increase your chances of getting admitted to KTH, we advise you to select more than one programme when applying. You can apply for up to four programmes and rank them in your order of preference.
Recognition of prior learning
Suppose you entirely or partially lack a formal requirement for a course or programme, but you believe you have the necessary knowledge to meet the requirement. In that case, you can apply for
recognition of prior learning
Master's programme in Architecture