MSc Renewable Energy (EIT InnoEnergy)
The programme covers Renewable Energy, a growing area with tremendous opportunities for new technologies, businesses and ideas. Students gain in-depth knowledge of all major renewable technologies and the opportunity to specialise in areas of interest. Students also acquire skills in business and innovation management. The programme is offered by five European universities through EIT InnoEnergy.
Renewable Energy at KTH
In the first year, you will take core modules in advanced technology concepts and methods in one of the four universities offered by the programme, as well as in the production and utilisation of sustainable energy.
The programme covers the four sectors where the impact of renewables on costs, market volumes, CO2 emissions, and network integration are greatest: wind, solar photovoltaic, solar thermal, and ocean energies. The programme also includes courses on the energy economy and markets, as well as energy and the environment, to give you a broad perspective on the potential of renewable energy.
Throughout your studies you will participate in the Business and Management training by ESADE with several modules distributed throughout Year 1, followed by the Summer School at the end of Year 1, which includes aslo a co-creation workshop at UPC: Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya · BarcelonaTech, the Innovation Seminar alongside our industrial and business partners and the ESADE module 3.
The second year is your chance to focus on the areas that interest you most. Students can choose from modules on the following areas of specialisation that will also determine which university you will attend:
- Solar photovoltaics
- Solar thermal electricity
- Wind energy
- Ocean and offshore energy
- Biomass and biofuels
- Integration of renewable systems with the energy system
Master’s degree project
You complete your second year with your master’s degree project in the fourth and final semester which is mostly done as part of an internship at one of our industrial or start-up partners, or at a research centre. Your master’s degree project will be supervised by a professor at your university and a researcher from your host industrial or research partner. The project is worth 30 ECTS credits.
The programme is taught at the following universities:
- IST: Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisbon, Portugal
- KTH: Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
- École Polytechnique, Paris, France
- UPC: Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya · BarcelonaTech, Barcelona, Spain
The business and entrepreneurial elements of the programme are delivered by the international business school:
- ESADE Business School, Spain
Giving you a unique education comprising industrial practice, innovation and entrepreneurship expertise, and advanced leadership skills, complemented by the active participation of InnoEnergy industrial partners the programme enables you to launch your career in a wide range of renewable energy businesses or research settings.
In particular, you will gain:
- Broad knowledge of sustainable energy systems and sources, and the ability to judge the technical, economical, social, and environmental impacts of each.
- Deep understanding of individual renewable energy technologies, as well as energy management, planning, economy and market contexts.
- Analytical capabilities, enabling you to formulate and manage technical problems from a system perspective and to solve problems around energy conversion, transportation, storage and utilisation.
- Interpersonal skills, including leadership, project management, team working, business management, and communication.