I have a background in philosophy, computer science and psychology. My research combines these three areas.
Topics: Cognitive endurance (a topic I coined for a research project), Computer technology and society, Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive science, Mindfulness, Philosophy of mind, Consciousness, Eastern and Western Philosophy, especially contrasting views from these traditions, Ethics.
My consciousness book is the most comprehensive account of my philosophical views:
Human-computer interaction, philosophy and scientific method, ethics, artificial intelligence and society.
Education and work
- Docent in Media Technology and Interaction 2018, KTH Royal Institute of Technology.
- Associate professor at the Dept. of Media and Interaction Design (2010-present), The Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.
- National Expert at the European Commission in the Unit of Future and Emerging Technologies, Brussels, Belgium (2008-2010)
- Visiting Fellow: University of Berkeley at California at Berkeley, Department of Philosophy (2005-2008)
- PhD Human-computer interaction, The Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden (2004)
- MA Computer Science, The Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden (2001)
- BA Philosophy & Psychology, Univ. of Calif. at Berkeley. Phi Beta Kappa, Honors in Philosophy (1995
The Risks of AI for the Media Industry and Humankind
Today's (Dagens) Media, Interview January 2024 (Swedish)
An interview for Dagens Media with me by Janne Naess about the risks of generative AI. I argue that there is a risk that we will succesively lose our intellectual abilities and come to redefine what intelligence and creativity are so that AI becomes normative. As human intellectual abilities are downplayed it would be more difficult to make a case for developing them over a lifetime and find what drives you as an indvidual. That would lead to an existential crisis and a technocratic lock-in in which it becomes unclear how we could remain radically innovative and world changing.
AI for Good, Freedom of Thought & Human Nature
oral presentation at KTH innovation June 14th 2023.Implications of Generative AI for Understanding the Mind and Brain in Cognitive Science and Related Fields of Inquiry
StratNeuro conference, poster May 2023.
Swedish Transport Agency panel discussion on AI and what it means to be human during Railway Day -- Swedish
What are the limits of AI?
I was interesting to be part of this discussion on AI and human abilities on the "philosophical room" talk radio (Swedish) in the spring of 2021.
Hanna Mandolin interviewed me on radio and we discussed persuasive technologies (in Swedish):
I and Haibo Li were winners in the KTH Innovation 2016 Innovation challenge.
I Haibo Li and Tina Zu received the Karolinska Center for Sustainability prize for best research project during their recent networking day in April 2016. http://ki.se/forskning/css-blogg
Research Methods in Interactive Media Technology (DM2713), examiner, course responsible | Course web