Master's programme in Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Infrastructure
The Master's programme in Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Infrastructure provides students with the tools to solve future environmental problems and water issues. The courses in, for example, environmental assessment and water resources engineering are prepatory for careers as environmental engineers. Students will increase their understanding of the properties and functions of water and ecosystems, learn how to assess the local and global environmental impact of human activities, and apply advanced methods, techniques and modelling tools to describe, quantify and solve environmental problems. The scope of the programme is international and interdisciplinary.
Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Infrastructure at KTH
There is in general a large degree of freedom for the students to select courses within the programme, given that the specific course prerequisites are fulfilled. Seven different competence profiles are meant to be an advice on choice of courses and course sequences for competitive specializations. In each competence profile there is an inherent progression. The different competence profiles are:
- Water Technology; water systems, hydropower, effects of climate change.
- Environmental Geotechnology; contaminated areas, environmental geology, geotechnical aspects.
- Water and Wastewater Engineering; managing our water resources (drinking water and wastewater).
- Environmental Management and Information; environmental monitoring, measurement techniques.
- Sustainable Infrastructure; managing infrastructure and natural resources in a sustainable way.
- Environmental Systems Analysis; environmental assessment, life cycle assessment.
- Sustainable Societies; social and economic mechanisms that affect sustainable development.
Our society has major challenges in managing a changing climate, developing and securing good water quality, developing systems for recycling materials and nutrients, and developing renewable and environmentally smart energy solutions.
The needs for environmental engineering expertise are therefore almost endless, and the labour market is very diverse. Students will be able to work privately and publicly – in environmental consultancies, with contractors, energy companies or government agencies; internationally, nationally or locally. Some examples of employers who hire students from this programme are SWECO, Stockholm Vatten, WSP, Swedish EPA, Tyréns, Geosigma, Ramböll, Vattenfall, and SIDA, as well as a number of international agencies.
Find out what students from the programme think about their time at KTH.
For questions regarding programme content and specific admission requirements, feel free to contact the programme coordinator or programme director.
, Phone: +46-8-790 8607
Changes in the programme may occur.