Master's programme in Production Engineering and Management
The master's programme in Production Engineering and Management is designed to provide production knowledge and skills with a holistic perspective.
Production Engineering and Management at KTH
The master's programme in Production Engineering and Management provides a strong foundation to become a professional with knowledge in both engineering and management aspects of production and their interaction. The engineering side includes operation and integration of manufacturing technology, automation, maintenance and quality aspects, production development tools, and methods as well as software. The management side covers systematic decision-making, operations strategy, planning, control and management of resources that are essential for achieving a sustainable production environment.
In order to create a strong foundation students in the Production Engineering and Management follow a certain number of mandatory courses. On top of that the students have the possibility to deepen their knowledge in production engineering, development and management, as well as information management in industry.
The programme emphasizes on both theoretical knowledge and applied skills which are covered through project course, individual and group assignments/projects, individual and group laboratory works, industrial visits. Furthermore, to maintain relevance to the state-of-the-art industrial developments and research, leading researchers and industrial professionals are invited to share their knowledge with our students. The educational activities and the structures promotes self-learning, trains students how to communicate effectively with different stakeholders, and generates a study environment that provides equal learning opportunity.
After graduating from the programme students will have:
- Basic understanding of various dimensions and functions of the broad field of production.
- Analytical skills needed to tackle the ever-changing problems and situations of modern competitive production.
- Conceptual and reasoning skills with appropriate decision support methods and tools used in production management.
- Communication and presentation skills necessary for leadership positions.
- Understanding of how environmental and cultural differences effect the production process.
- Understanding of the need and requirements for sustainable and energy efficient production processes.
As production is global, graduates from our programme will be able to find positions as technical specialists, production developers, production engineers, production managers or consultants in various production fields, all over the world.
Find out what students from the programme think about their time at KTH.
Faculty and research
The programme is offered by the faculty of Production Engineering which leads research in:
- Smart Manufacturing Systems
- Precision Engineering and Metrology
- Circular Manufacturing Systems
- Sustainable Production Systems
- Digital Smart Production