Application season would be generally stressful to students since there are tons of applications to be sent to a number of universities globally. The challenge is to keep track of hundreds of documents that are required, the different word count of the motivation letter for different universities, additional documents that are necessary, and also the mandatory requirement of GRE or English proficiency.
I have listed down some of the mandatory documents that are necessary while applying for KTH. You will find a detailed requirement list here.
- Bachelor’s Degree: This is one of the main requirements for consideration of your application irrespective of the Master’s program you are applying to. Tip: This is one of the reasons I missed the opportunity of getting admitted to KTH in 2018 since I uploaded a provisional degree certificate instead of the final certificate issued by the home university.
For students who are in the final semesters of their studies as they apply, it is necessary to submit a letter from the university that you are an active student in the final year.
- English Language Proficiency: The Master’s program will be held in English as the language of instruction. English will also be the medium of communication for all activities on and off-campus. Thus there is a requirement for students to prove their proficiency in English.
The proficiency can be through examinations such as TOFEL or IELTS. However, you are not required to take the examinations if you are from a particular country and the medium of instruction of your bachelor’s degree was also in English. You can check out more details about the exemption here.
- Transcripts: The transcripts should be issued by the academic register’s office or the office that issues official transcripts of your university. Tip: Since the transcripts come with additional costs, you can avoid buying multiple copies since most of the university want a scanned copy of transcripts and does not ask you to post a physical one.
- Passport: It is necessary to have a passport at the time of applying to the university admission portal. So plan ahead so that you will be able to upload a copy of your passport.
- Specific documents: This is one of the important checklists that you have to research. Here you will find the list of additional admission requirements for your specific master’s degree. Tip: The same master’s degree program can have different tracks that ask for different documents. Be cautious while applying for a specific track.
The specific documents can be a CV/resume, letter of recommendation, portfolio, summary sheet, degree project proposal, and/or more.
These are a few mandatory documents that are required for your application to be considered. I understand that the application season can be overwhelming and I encourage you to reach out in the comments below or to the specific program student ambassador if you have any questions.