Welcome to Information Visualization!
Information Visualization is the art of helping people paint ideas from data.
After this class, you will be able to:
- Collaborate in groups and work alone to create fully-functioning information visualization systems that facilitate actionable insight through interactive data transformations, visual mappings, and view transformations.
- Defend your design choices through deep domain knowledge.
- Constructively criticize other information visualization systems using domain theory and practices.
- Explain and demonstrate your information visualization systems to wide audiences, from novices to experts.
- Elicit constructive criticism from users of your information visualization systems.
To achieve this goal, you will work on three projects, two individual projects, one final group project. You will get a grade (A>=91%, B>=81%, C>=71%, D>=61%, E>=51%, F<50%). These percentages are computed as follows:
|1.||Project 1||Individual: Visualizing Group Matching||10%|
|2.||Project 2||Individual: visualizing gapminder and world values survey data in D3.js.||30%|
|3.||Group Project||Group (Individually graded). Milestones: Proposal, Demo 1, Final presentation, Web page.||50%|
|4.||Readings||Individual (graded through short tests)||10%|
I will grade each project on its ability to accomplish the five learning outcomes above. I will post detailed grading criteria for each project. You will be responsible for collecting and displaying the evidence of your progress through online project reports (webpages). I will grade your readings through online surveys. Look for information on our KTH Social and Canvas pages and our Facebook group page.