2. The study visit and employability
The study visit and employability, reflection seminar in December 2014
Preparations for the reflection
- Investigate, using only public sources, how the company you visited is recruiting computer scientists. Is the company advertising in newspapers? Advertising on its web site? Visiting Armada or D-dagen? In some other way?
If you missed the study visit
If you missed the study visit you will need to do the following extra preparation for the seminar.
- There are several business associations relevant to computer science masters. Such organizations could either have computer science companies or computer scientists as members. Find one (relevant) business association organizing companies and one organizing people. Look up the web sites of these associations and find some information about them. Then use them instead of the company in the four reflection points below, when you write your reflection. The reflection should be 600-700 words instead of 500-600 words.
If you follow prosamm13 and missed the study visit assignment
Alla som följer prosamm13 (dvs går andra året på mastern) ska vara med och organisera ett studiebesök. Om du av någon anledning missade det ska du förutom ovanstående extrauppgift även göra följande extrauppgift.
Ta kontakt med en av branschorganisationerna som du valt och ta reda på något som är relevant för dig och dina kamrater på datalogimastern. Skriv ner vad du fick veta under en egen rubrik i reflektionen. Reflektionen ska då bli 700-800 ord lång.
The written reflection
Write a reflection document where you address the following points based on your study visit and your small recruitment research. Make sure that you bring up both positive and negative aspects for all four points. The document should be 500-600 words.
- Give a short description of the company and the visit.
- How do you and your competence match the company you visited?
- What insights have you gained that may influence your studies?
- What role does the company fill in society? Do you want to be part of what the company is doing?
Finally, write a paragraph where you reflect on the courses you are currently taking and the courses (or degree project) that you have chosen to take next semester.
Hand in the reflection, read the group members' reflections and comment on them
Your written reflection must be handed in before Dectember 11, at 24.00. Maybe you should once again look at the short video showing how to upload the document to Google Drive. The link to the document should be put in a file with your name in the directory
where X is your group's number (the same as last time - if you forgot you can find it in Rapp).
You have to comment on all the other group members' reflection documents using the Google Drive comment functionality (Comment in the Insert menu) before December 15, at 12.00.
Participate actively in the seminar
Find your group number in the table below and lookup when and where your seminar is. The seminar is about 50 minutes, and it is important to be on time. Notice the odd starting times! Instructions on how to find the rooms can be found in the menu to the left.
|December 16, 8.10-9.00
|December 16, 9.10-10.00
|December 18, 15.10-16.00
|December 18, 16.10-17.00
Report your choice of specialization, if needed
From next seminar in the course (i.e. period 3), the groups will be rearranged after choice of specialization (in Swedish: spår). If you have reported your choice of specialization to the study counsellor, then your specialization is already in the specialization/spår column in Rapp for prosamm. If your specialization is not known by Rapp, then you will need to email Viggo (firstname.lastname@example.org) and tell him which specialization you (will) follow before December 12, otherwise you will end up in a random prosamm group at next seminar.
Note that the choice of specialization is not binding, at this point of time. When you end your studies and hand in your application for the Master degree certificate, then you will need to report your final choice of specialization.
Here is the current list of specializations:
|Number of prosamm students
|autonoma system (autonomous systems)
|beräkningsbiologi (computational biology)
|datasäkerhet (computer security)
|datorsystemteknik (computer systems)
|ljud och musik (sound and music)
|programsystemteknik (software engineering)
|språkteknologi (language technology)
|teoretisk datalogi (theoretical computer science)