My main research interests are sound and music computing, media production, sound design, sonic interaction design and sonification.
I am working as Associate Professor and Docent in Media Technology at theDivision of Media Technology and Interaction Design (MID),School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) since January 2019. From September 2015 to December 2018 I was Associate Professor in Sound Design at the University of York (UK). Prior to that, from September 2007 to September 2015, I was Assistant Professor in Sound Design at the University of York (UK). Between 2005 and 2007 I was Assistant Professor in Music Technology at the University of Huddersfield.
Current and recent projects:
Listening Across Discilines II (partner in this AHRC project by Prof. S. Voegelin and Prof. A. Barney)
Tales from Two Cities (with Dr David Hickman)
My background is in Physics (MPhys(Hons), Manchester) and Music (Classical Guitar, Conservatorio “G.Tartini”, Trieste, Italy), education which I have combined in my MSc and PhD in Music Technology at the University of York, UK.
After my MSc and during my PhD, I worked as a Research Assistant on two EPSRC funded projects. The first of these, the COSTART project, was based in the Computer Science Department of Loughborough University and aimed at studying the relationship between artists and technologists during the creation of digital artworks. The second project,Data mining through an interactive sonic approach, was based in the Electronics Department of the University of York and focused on displaying data structures, present in complex multivariate data sets, using sound synthesis and interaction. This research formed also the basis of my doctoral thesis,Interactive non-speech auditory display of multivariate data.
I have experience teaching at 1st, 2nd and 3rd cycle level ( BA, BSc, MA, MSc and PhD)
Throughout my career I have had a number of management roles including:
At University level:
- Associate Director for Mobility at the Digital Futures Centre
- Deputy Director of the Centre of Chronic Diseases and Disorders (Wellcome Trust and University of York funded)
- Member of the Standing Committee on Assessment (University of York)
At Department level:
- Deputy Head of the Media Technology and Interaction Design (MID) Division at KTH
- Programme Director for the MA/MSc in Postproduction with specialisation in Sound Design
- Chair of Board of Examiners
- Department Management Committee Member
- Chair of Equality and Diversity Committee
- Athena Swan Department Lead
- Chair of Mitigating Circumstances Committee
Advanced Individual Course in Music Communication (DT2216), course responsible, teacher | Course web
Program Integrating Course in Interactive Media Technology (DM2679), examiner, course responsible, assistant | Course web